Friday, February 12, 2010

All Things in Place

You know how uncomfortable it can be when you just don't feel like you are doing what you are supposed to be doing? I think I've felt that way for the past year. I knew that I wanted to teach at a university or college somewhere. I knew that I wanted to work at a teaching university rather than a research university. I knew that what I was doing was gearing me up for something in the complete opposite direction of what I wanted. It's a terrible feeling to be thrust forward so fast in the wrong direction that you feel like you can't get back to where you wanted to be. By the end of November, I was filling out applications for anything, from a job with Miller Brewing in Denver Colorado to an instructional designer position in Washington state.

About a month and a half ago, I was sent an email from a faculty member in my department about a job teaching one duel credit BCIS course in Slaton. I wanted to know more about this job, so I went on google, searched for Slaton ISD, and, somehow stumbled onto an opening for a BCIS teacher. Here was my chance....my opening...my fast track to the direction I have been supposed to be going in for a very long time. I took it. I contacted the personnel director, principal, anyone I could think of, and asked about the position. Luckily, one of our friends knew the principal. Her mother had been a teacher at Slaton High School for the last 20 years (recently retired). She sent an email as well. On January 8th, I interviewed and by January 11th, they offered me the position. I started the job on January 27th...also my birthday...and have loved every minute of it.

I am no longer feeling like I'm running the wrong way. I know that I'm supposed to teach. I know that this is where I fit in the world. And for the time being, it's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment